Project: Student-made virtual tours of accidental art*.
Students will design/curate their own annotated
virtual tour based on mindful, visual observation based on the elements of art
in their environments.
Steps:
1. Learn to make a Google map virtual tour myself. Find
out if you can link to blogger posts in the map markers.
2. Prepare instructions for students.
3. Model the tour based on an assignment they already
did in week 1, which was to post a picture/write about of where they saw art in
their daily life (examples that the posted include graffiti on a deli, a mosaic
in the subway, at their gym, at a food bank). I can make the tour based on what
they posted, then we can look a it together as an example of how their own
tours will look.
4. Have students over the course of 2 weeks take 6
(or more) pictures of their encounters with accidental art. The parameters will
be based on the visual elements we discussed in class- line, pattern, shape,
color relationships, light, texture.
5. Upload pictures to class blog of the work and
where they saw it. Give the work a title, and write a description of the
medium, elements that made it accidental art, the site, date, whether it’s
ephemeral or permanent, other relevant work info/description.
6. Using Google maps, create a virtual tour with
images, short descriptions and links to the blog posts.
7. Use the project as part of my presentation at a
conference (acceptance pending.)
*Accidental art/Found art examples can be seen here:
Joy Garnett and Horny For Cables

I really like the way you updated this assignment/project. I'm sorry I was unable to be at the gathering on Friday, but it appears that the feedback you received was valuable. This sounds like a fun and enlightening project, one I'd be interested not only in doing myself, but one that I'm interested in following as your students conduct the project. What a cool way to see NYC.
ReplyDelete